My new favourite dress! The Ruby pattern by Tessuti is super simple and stylish. I chose to make it in a mid-weight black linen as I thought the fabric would fall beautifully with a bit of weight in it. I was right! I lengthened the dress by 20cm for a more relaxed look.
This dress was one of many makes at our recent trip to Sewjourn. I'm slowly getting photos of all the other makes. Slowly, slowly...
I attached the binding following Lara's instructions. Basically, you attach the binding to the wrong side and then flip it out, hiding the seam allowance in the process. I top-stitched from the right side ensuring it was beautiful and even. The weight of the linen made it a bit bulky and thinner than my fellow Sewjourners. Not sure I did it exactly like them because their binding came out wider. Oh well, I quite like the thin binding but it would be very tricky in a finer fabric.
I tried to crop a few photos so you can see the binding.
These photos were taken yesterday in Melbourne city. It was 38 degrees and blowing a gale, so the skirt is a bit skewed. The Ruby dress in linen makes the ultimate hot weather dress. The extra length and weight of the linen also prevents any wardrobe malfunctions in the wind!