April 01, 2014

Sew: Pleated Style Arc Ali Knit Skirt




I like to keep it real around here at Sew Brunswick. I really don't like this skirt I made last weekend but I decided to post the photos anyway so others can learn from my mistakes. The decision to use the pleats on both the front and back of the skirt was a very, very bad decision. The pattern is designed for a flat back piece with a pleated front. To spice it up, you can have a plain pencil skirt, like my floral scuba skirt, by using the back pattern piece in both the front and back. Or you can use the front pleated pattern piece twice and get pleats in the front and back. It's quite a versatile pattern for such a simple style. I do plan on using this pattern again, and again, as I think it's going to be a great wardrobe staple. Just without pleats in the back!

I thought putting the pleats on the back would avoid having the visible undie line and avoid showing all the lumps and bumps. It has just drawn even more attention to my backside, in addition to adding bulk! Lesson learnt.

Project Details
Pattern: Style Arc Ali Knit Skirt, size 16
Fabric: Medium weight black ponti from Tessuti

I'm planing on making this again with just the pleated front in a black ponti to replace this one and also a charcoal knit, maybe a wool knit, to wear with boots and tights during winter.

You live and you learn!

L x

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love keeping it real. I've had my eye on this pattern for a little while, and think that the pleats on the front look fantastic. Definitely use this pattern again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A valuable lesson, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the honest Tip!
    Maybe you can take apart the side seams & re-cut the back without the pleats?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You live and you learn!! That is my motto for sewing and I guess you can't win all the time. The front pleats on the skirt do look good and I am glad you want to sew this pattern again. It looks like an incredibly comfortable skirt and as you say, a great staple in your wardrobe. I too am thankful for your honesty tip as I too, wanted to order and make this skirt. I probably would have made the back pleats purely because I love pleats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the pleated front, but you're right about the pleats at the back looking a bit messy. Hopefully you can salvage it eventually because I'm sure the fabric is nice

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fails as well as the triumphs and it is definitely good to keep it real. I agree, I have seen better on you :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat