November 28, 2013

Sew: Stripe Ponti Pencil Skirt



This stripe knit pencil skirt has been on my sewing to do list for a very long time. I don't know why it took me so long to get around to it because the actual construction only took about half an hour. The project was rapidly pushed to the front of the queue one Friday afternoon when I was making a pair of black Suzy pants to wear to a work trivia night at the pub. I got a bit over confident and took the pants in too much. They looked good but I couldn't actually get them over my hips easily and if I did manage to get them on there was no way I could go to the bathroom while out! So I threw them aside in frustration while promising myself that I would just keep running until I could fit in to them. 

I then had a moment of sheer panic because I had nothing to wear to a casual work function at the pub. I have a lot of clothes but not a lot of cool funky clothes to wear out for drinks. I don't go out for drinks. At the age of 31, I am firmly in the "old" group of my work colleagues. It's not the age, it's the married with two kids and a mortgage, and being a senior level that puts me in that corner. What was I going to wear?!

I pulled out this fabric, some elastic and a Vogue pencil skirt pattern. I folded out the darts and cut around the pattern in a size smaller than my normal. I also pegged the skirt in an inch at the bottom. I almost got it finished in time for the 7 o'clock kick off. It is not hemmed in the top photo, which is the way I wore it out that night. I came back the following day and hemmed it with a twin needle and an inch hem.  
An extremely easy and satisfying make. Perfect for both the pub and a 3 year old birthday party at a play centre (bottom photo). The fabric was a random find at Spotlight last year. Unfortunately, it has started pilling already. I wish I knew which fabric were going to pill and which aren't. I can't stand pilling! It drives me nuts.

Project Details
Pattern: Any basic pencil skirt pattern.
Fabric: Black and white stripe ponti from Spotlight

I really need to work on a few items that I can wear out for dinner or to drinks. That is the major downfall of my wardrobe. I'm thinking a black dress could really help to fill this gap. Also a metallic Tokyo jacket, black Suzy pants and a few basic tanks.



I've been busy sewing and making Christmas presents lately. I also have quite a few finished items that are yet to be blogged. Unfortunately, I'm going through a bit of a blogging slump at the moment. I'm just going with the flow and hoping that it comes back soon.

How's everyone else going? Ever had nothing to wear despite a wardrobe full of beautiful clothes??

L x

12 comments:

  1. Love this skirt. So simple yet so stylish. Might have to copy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a cool and funky outfit!

    I have that same problem when I need to go out at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never have anything to wear either despite having a full wardrobe! My clothes are always too corporate or too dressy for those occasions when you just want something casual and cool. I've been planning on making a black and white stripe skirt for a while too, as soon as I find the right fabric. Your skirt looks really good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the skirt and perfect for a casual pub night! Yep definitely have a wardrobe of clothes and sometimes nothing to wear. Especially out at night like you describe. I work as a Pilates instructor so live in lycra (cringe). The rest of my makes are somewhat girly casual dresses. I have nothing edgy and funky! Now you've motivated me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am old!! I'm also rolling through a blogging slump. I'm struggling to get motivated to post. I figure everything comes back in time. I like the skirt BTW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funky evening wear is completely absent in my wardrobe too. Your skirt is a really good fit, both on you & for the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the skirt - perfect for your occasion. I pretty much live in casual clothes so have plenty but still manage to sometimes not have the right thing to wear - perhaps because I am looking for something that feels right at the time (for the mood I am in).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great on-trend skirt ~ don't you love being able to whip something like this up as the need arises!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this skirt!! I have an old skirt just like that, that needs to be replaced cos it's pilling every where!! I bought the Coles MIX one, cos it was stripey but the waistband was an awkward fit so I returned it. I'll use your tips and fold out the darts on a skirt pattern and see how I go!!
    You look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your skirt. I too just made myself a quick and easy stretch knit skirt to wear with 2 t-shirts I just made for myself. I didn't have just a plain black skirt in my wardrobe as the only one I did have has gotten too big for me now. I just love super quick easy makes. Now you can easily whip a skirt anytime you need one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this and you look fabulous in it. Horizontal stripes on my wide area is not seomething I could do but you look great. Congratulations. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Love this look, and your comments. If you're t senior at 31, I must be ancient at 39! I worry about horizontal stripes making me look WIDE, but you look awesome. Great job

    ReplyDelete

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat