November 05, 2013

Sew: Denim Grainline Moss Mini


A while ago, I identified that my wardrobe was seriously lacking in basics. Especially, solid colours and separates. I have a lot of printed dresses!

On my list of things to buy or make to resolve this issue were a denim skirt, denim pants, linen pants and a few solid tops. My linen Renfrew tank was first off the machines. I even went to Country Road one Saturday and tried really, really hard to buy some casual pants and linen trousers. No such luck. I did buy the top I'm wearing in the photo above. Mr N said it looked nice and I had to agree with him!

As the clothes shops weren't helping me, I hot footed it to Clegs around the corner and bought two pieces of linen. I then went home and bought a few Tessuti patterns. I then went through my stash and found this denim and my trusty Moss Mini pattern. I'm well on my way to fixing my wardrobe!


I bought this denim in Sydney for a pair of Juniper pants. I've made the Juniper pants (photos coming soon) and managed to get the Moss Mini out of the fabric as well. As the front and back have a seam down the middle, it is easy to make the pattern out of the bits left over.


The Liberty print is a scrap my mum gave me. Or I may have taken it...


Such a good and basic pattern. I did a sway back adjustment on this version which stops the back bunching up. The length is as per the pattern which is a touch short for me but I'm learning to show off my legs more. 


I did manage to buy some new black flats. Hooray for Ecco shoes! I have huge feet which makes shoe shopping extremely difficult. I discovered Ecco shoes have a decent size range and are well suited to my need for underfoot support (hello stress fracture). I just wish clothes shopping was less painful. It is so depressing trying to find clothes to fit. I think fabric shopping is so much better!

Project Details
Pattern: Grainline Studio Moss Mini Skirt, size 14-16
Fabric: Denim with 3% stretch from The Remnant Warehouse
Alterations: Sway back adjustment, graded down a size between hips and waist


My photography assistant was taking a rest.

The black linen trousers are almost finished. I have a white cotton lace Kimono Tee waiting to be cut out and a pair of royal blue linen Tessuti Laura pants on the table. That should get me out of trouble!

L x

16 comments:

  1. This is quite high up on my lengthy to-do list. I desperately need some wardrobe basics, and have a number of things cut out ready, but haven't managed to achieve much yet. Except get side-tracked by toddler-sized clothes.

    I have a very loud colour/pattern block version to try, as well as some bronze stretch denim to shamelessly rip off Sallieoh's Tessuti linen version. Yours looks great, makes me feel a little less scared. :)

    Did I mention I've never sewn a button hole OR a zip?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moss looks great. It is such a great staple. Lovely lovely innards too. Nice top from CR.

    ReplyDelete

  3. It looks so cute! And your legs do too!

    Can't wait to see the kimono tee. I love that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not too short at all. And I have huge feet too so totally sympathise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this skirt; and I see that the pattern goes up to an 18 which is good for me. I thinking it's probably not a beginners pattern though...one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great basic. A kimono tee will be a cool addition for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too lack basics!!! I buy all my basics.
    I too lack solid colours!! I feel underwhelmed sewing with solid colours, I love floral and bright colors, the more the merrier :)
    Your skirt is beautiful, I love the facings :) very cute skirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate shopping for basics. A wall of black fabric bolts is so uninspiring. Give me colour and print any day!

      Delete
  8. You're definitely on your way to having to some great basics and I think the length looks good on you. The blog's new look is great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn! I'm getting used to wearing shorter things. It's taken some time!

      Delete
  9. I love that top! The outfit is perfect for a summer's day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr N has good taste. He's a very handy shopping buddy.

      Delete
  10. Looks great - I need to take a leaf out of your book and make one of these! You totally can do the shorter length - it's very flattering on you. Must. Make. Denim. Moss. Skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must make a denim moss mini!! A wardrobe essential.

      Delete
  11. I love this skirt! It looks like Grainline has some great basics. The length of the skirt looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this pattern and really MUST get to make it before summer has come and gone!

    ReplyDelete

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat