August 16, 2013

Sew: No. 4 Drape Top from Drape Drape 2 Book


I've had this Drape Drape 2 book for over two years. My parents gave it to me for a birthday present just after I had Mr H when I was on maternity leave. I loved all the designs but I could not get my head around drafting the patterns up to my western society size 16. So it stayed on my bookshelf. We then went to Japan on holidays and I stocked up on more Japanese pattern books. They're so cheap over there! At least this book now had company on the bookshelf...

I've come along way in my sewing over those 2 years, in particular my fitting and drafting knowledge has increased dramatically. So last Saturday I took to my traced pattern with a ruler, pencil and scissors. Due to the size of the pattern piece, I retreated to the boys room for this. Unfortunately, they all followed... Oh well, it is a beautiful room in the mornings with the eastern sun flowing in.


I drew a line from the middle of the neckline straight down. I then drew a line from the middle of the hem straight up. These lines connected somewhere in the middle of the front. I repeated this step on the back. I then bravely took to it with a pair of scissors, slashing the pattern along this jagged line. From studying other versions online I thought the top would be wide enough as is and that I really need a bit of length and width at the bottom. So I spread the pattern 1cm at the neckline grading out to 3cm at the hem. I also added 1cm to the side. I simply lay the pattern piece on my roll of tracing paper and stuck it down with sticky tape. I now had a new enlarged pattern.


My method of madness seemed to work perfectly! I now have my very own drape drape tee.


I really like the style of this top. As you all know, I am a massive fan of a striped tee. So a striped tee with a bit of flair is heaven.


I couldn't for the life of me line up the stipes on one of the sleeves. I did manage the side seam and the other sleeve. I really like how the sleeves are different.


Project Details
Pattern: no. 4 1pattern drape top from the Drape Drape 2 book
Fabric: Latte Black Stripe Jersey (viscose spandex blend) from Tessuti Online
Alterations: Raised neckline by 7cm, added 1cm to side seam, slashed and spread to add 1cm to neckline grading to 3cm at hem, added 5cm to length.


This top will go perfectly with a Moss Mini Skirt and black flats in summer. Today I rocked it with a pair of black skinny jeans, long red wool cardigan and some beads. The perfect mum outfit.

L x

11 comments:

  1. I love it! Such a versatile T ;) And I do especially appreciate your posting of your 'slash and spread work' - I love seeing pattern pieces laid out before they are sewn, especially when the stripes twist so delightfully ;) - and I have helpers who follow too... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic, the stripes really pick up on the twisting and draping of the pattern. Those patterns look intimidating enough without having to grade up as well, so your top is even more impressive

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a really good job sizing it up. It fits wonderfully and looks perfect with your necklace and cardi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun pattern. Looks great in the stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stripes rally show off the architecture of this top. RAD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is an *interesting* pattern piece. I love how it came out with the stripes to show the gathering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is fantastic, what a great top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super job! I love the outfit with the red cardigan and necklace - very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And it's fabulous! I love this! Perfectly matched with the red, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ideas for enlarging the top. Looks fab well done. Once one gets it right roll on drape tops. Thanks for sharing. Eileen.

    ReplyDelete

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat