April 24, 2013

Travel: Mornington Peninsula



We had the in-laws visiting last weekend. Instead of sitting around Melbourne all weekend we decided to get out of town and visit the Mornington Peninsula. A quick look on Stayz and I found a house to rent that would sleep all six of us and had plenty of room to keep the boys happy. It was fabulous!

We visited the strawberry farm for fresh scones with jam and cream plus a much need caffeine boost. Unfortunately, it was the last day of the picking season so we didn't get to do the U-pick option. I did manage to buy some jam strawberries. 4kg for $20!! I now have 3 huge jars of homemade strawberry jam.

Besides our strawberry fix, we went to a few wineries and had lunch at Montalto. Which, by the way, is perfect for lunch if you have little ones. You can sit there sipping your wine in the sunshine, surrounded by the vegie patch, while the kids run riot of the huge patch of lawn. Just be sure to get in early!

We also went to Cape Schanck, Portsea and Ashcombe Maze and Lavender Gardens. The maze was amazing and was surrounded by fabulous gardens. Unfortunately, we didn't have a lot of time there, so I hope to get back there soon. I also want to try the Peninsula Hot Springs next time. An excuse to go back for a family weekend!

Travel Details
Destination: Mornington Peninsula
Accommodation: Alfresco House at Blairgowrie
Places to visit:

Overall, a fabulous place to visit that I really hope to get back to soon. It was also a great place to visit with kids. Most wine and gourmet regions are not that kid-friendly but Mornington Peninsula was fabulous.



Before we hot-footed it down the freeway, I took my in-laws on a bit of a fabric and yarn shopping adventure. This involved my MIL and I leaving my FIL in the car with the kids while we had a "quick" look in Rathdowne, The Fabric Store and the new yarn shop on Smith Street, Yarn & Co. It was a fabulous afternoon. I managed to grab some fuschia pink wool for my Anise jacket and a few jerseys for t-shirts. I even subjected the in-laws to the Mr Burger truck for lunch! The. Best. Burger. Ever.

L x

PS. I just noticed on the Yarn & Co website that they do high tea!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Sew Brunswick © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat