January 17, 2017
Amazing what you find in your blog draft posts! I made this dress long ago and I'm very pleased with it. The fabric may be a little lightweight for this pattern but it seems to be surviving.
This is my fourth Moneta dress. I have my beloved Jaywalk striped version, a red one that was gifted to my mum, a plain black one and this floral one. I find them the perfect work dress paired with some heals and a blazer in Winter.
Pattern: Colette Patterns Moneta Dress, size XL
Fabric: Viscose printed jersey (Floreale Nero) from Tessuti Fabrics
Alterations: Omitted bodice lining and pockets, lengthened by 5cm
See Also: Sew Brunswick #1
Probably not the most flattering of dresses but I'm not fussed. Today is going to be a scorcher here in Melbourne and I'm also flying to Brisbane which is a whole different kind of hot. My temporary childless days are over, as I'm going to get the boys from "Club Grandparents" and to see my family (very briefly).
This red linen sway dress was conceived after the success of my (yet to be blogged) Frocktails dress. Although, it's not as successful. I'm not sure what happened but the neckline has warped, possibly due to stretching. I failed to stay stitch or stay tape the neckline as I didn't need to with the first. I also have trouble keeping the straps on my shoulders so I have safety pins in there. So a bit of a doozy but you can't win all the time.
This was my Christmas day dress. It was great for sitting on the floor unwrapping presents, eating copious amounts of ham and just general lounging around. And it went perfectly with my Christmas light earrings.
Pattern: Sway Dress by Papercut Patterns
Fabric: Red linen from The Fabric Store
Alterations: Removed some fullness to accommodate narrower fabric, lengthened by 10cm, used v-neck for front and back.
See Also: Lladybird | Noble & Daughter | Idle Fancy | Thornberry
And because I'm a sucker for punishment, I will probably sew this again and hope for the best!
December 20, 2016
I took my polka dot Frankie dress for a spin today. We went in to the city to see the Christmas sights. Mr "almost 8" took a shot so I could blog it for you all to see.
I found this fabric in the depths of Clear It on a recent trip with my MIL. I was in the "not buying anything" category until I spotted this for some ridiculously cheap price. There is always room in my stash for spots (and stripes!).
The pattern is of course the Tessuti Frankie dress. I put the pattern centre front 1cm from the fabric fold, adding a total of 2cm to both the front and back width. I think this works well, but next time I will try just adding 1cm to the width as well as lengthening the should seam (as mentioned in my last post). Now to find more printed fabric to make more Frankies!
Pattern: Tessuti Fabrics Frankie Dress, 3/4 sleeves, XL
Fabric: Jersey from Clear It
Alterations: Added 5cm to short dress length, slashed and spread sleeve by 2.5cm, added 2cm to centre front, omitted jelly tape
See also: Sew Brunswick #1 | Sew Brunswick #2
I was only allowed one photo by my photographer so you'll just have to believe me when I say it's pretty good.
December 18, 2016
Another day, another Frankie dress. This is my fifth attempt at this dress. I just can't give up on it. The first was in a ponte and wasn't stretchy enough so was gifted to a friend. The second was in a pink jersey and it was unwearable as you could see every lump and bump so that one was gifted to Savers. The third was a winner and was my black midi version. The fourth is a spotty version that is finished but yet to be worn. And this here is my fifth that I wore this afternoon for our street's Christmas party.
This version is a summer dress. Short sleeves with the short dress length. I added some width to the sleeve and will add more again next time. I'd like the short sleeves not to be fitted. I only added an inch to this due to fabric restrictions. I bought 2m and the pattern says 1.85m. I will buy more next time so I can add another 2cm or so. I also added 1cm to the centre front by laying the pattern piece 0.5cm from the fold. I find the pattern narrow across the shoulders and chest. My navy spot version has 2cm added so we'll see which I prefer once I wear that one.
Pattern: Tessuti Fabrics Frankie Dress, short sleeve/short dress, size XL
Fabric: Painted Leaves Navy, viscose/elastane jersey from Tessuti Fabrics online
Alterations: Lengthened by 2.5cm, slashed and spread sleeve by 2.5cm, added 1cm to centre front, omitted jelly tape from back neckline
See also: Sew Brunswick #1 | Sewing with Kate #1 | Sewing with Kate #2
I haven't finished with the Frankie dress pattern yet. I'm determined to make it work. I really like the neckline. I like that it's high and provides sun coverage. I've just discovered Sewing with Kate's shoulder adjustment to add width to the shoulder seam. I'll be giving that a go next time.
November 14, 2016
I sense a pattern emerging here. Late to join the party/bandwagon yet again...
This is of course the Tessuti Gabby dress pattern that was released many years ago and has been made by countless sewers around the world. It's a great pattern that is simple and stylish and a great way to use a feature fabric.
The fabric was purchased from Tessuti Fabrics in Melbourne over a year ago. I was hoping for a bit of Gorman style with this make. Not sure I pulled it off but I'm pretty happy with this dress. It will get a lot of wear when the Melbourne weather finally warms up.
Pattern: Tessuti Gabby Dress, size XL
Fabric: Valeria Nero printed viscose from Tessuti Melbourne
Alterations: Lined with silk cotton
See also: Boo Dogg and Me | Thornberry | Sewn by Elizabeth | Up Sew Late